TELECOM Digest OnLine - Sorted: Re: Boston Police Make Arrest in Devices Ploy

Re: Boston Police Make Arrest in Devices Ploy

Mr Joseph Singer (joeofseattle@yahoo.com)
Fri, 2 Feb 2007 00:02:56 PST

Wed, 31 Jan 2007 21:12:25 -0600 Ken Maguire, AP <ap@telecom-digest.org>
wrote:

> More than 10 blinking electronic devices planted at bridges and other
> spots in Boston threw a scare into the city Wednesday in what turned
> out to be a publicity campaign for a late-night cable cartoon. Most if
> not all of the devices depict a character giving the finger.

> Boston police said Wednesday night that one person had been arrested,
> and authorities scheduled a news conference to provide details.

> Highways, bridges and a section of the Charles River were shut down
> and bomb squads were sent in before authorities declared the devices
> were harmless.

> "It's a hoax -- and it's not funny," said Gov. Deval Patrick, who said
> he'll speak to the state's attorney general "about what recourse we may
> have."

Personally, I think Boston *wanted* some publicity and to be in the
spotlight. None of the other cities where these blinking devices had
a security meltdown as it appeared Boston had. Overreaction is what I
see in all this bluster from Boston officials. You have to wonder how
really prepared these people are if they cannot distinguish these
blinking signs from true destructive "terrorist" devices. It doesn't
inspire a lot of confidence. The designers got what they wanted a
spotlight on the program they were hawking and moreso than any other
technique available for three times the price.

Go to Next message: Sam Spade: "Re: Boston Police Make Arrest in Devices Ploy"
Go to Previous message: The Kaminsky Family: "Telecom - Safety on the Net (was Re: Bill to Curb Online Predators"
May be in reply to: Sam Spade: "Boston Police Make Arrest in Devices Ploy"