TELECOM Digest OnLine - Sorted: Re: NY Times Plans Major Job Cutback

Re: NY Times Plans Major Job Cutback

Garrett Wollman (wollman@csail.mit.edu)
Tue, 16 Jan 2007 03:15:33 UTC

In article <telecom26.15.6@telecom-digest.org>, <Wesrock@aol.com>
wrote:

> With newspapers required to divest their TV stations, those stations
> descended to the level of the other stations in the market.

The Commission was very selective in which newspapers it forced out of
the TV business. The Cox family was never required to break up its
media empire in Atlanta, which included the /Journal-Constitution/,
the dominant local TV station (WSB-TV), radio, and the local incumbent
cableco. (Some of these assets have changed hands or otherwise been
restructured since 1996.) Lately it's been granting waivers left and
right, in the (probably correct) belief that the cross-ownership rules
could not today stand Constitutional muster, as it did in markets from
Los Angeles to Hartford where a Tribune TV station became
commonly-owned with a Times-Mirror newspaper when the two companies
merged.

--
Garrett A. Wollman   | The real tragedy of human existence is not that we are
wollman@csail.mit.edu| nasty by nature, but that a cruel structural asymmetry

Go to Next message: hancock4@bbs.cpcn.com: "Re: NY Times Plans Major Job Cutback"
Go to Previous message: Fred Atkinson: "Re: Easy411"
May be in reply to: Reuters News Wire: "NY Times Plans Major Job Cutback"