TELECOM Digest OnLine - Sorted: Man's Cell Phone Ignites in Pocket; Burns Him and Hotel Room

Man's Cell Phone Ignites in Pocket; Burns Him and Hotel Room

Associated Press News Wire (
Mon, 15 Jan 2007 22:01:30 -0600

Man's cell phone ignites in pocket
Fire burns the hotel and causes severe burns over half his body

VALLEJO, California - A cell phone apparently ignited in a man's
pocket and started a fire that burned his hotel room and caused severe
burns over half his body, fire department officials said.

Luis Picaso, 59, was in stable condition Monday with second- and
third-degree burns to his upper body, back, right arm and right leg,
Vallejo Fire Department assistant chief Kurt Henke said.

Firefighters arrived at the residential hotel Saturday night to find
Picaso lying on the bathroom floor after a malfunctioning cell phone
in his pants pocket set fire to his nylon and polyester clothes, Henke

The flames spread to a plastic chair, setting off a sprinkler that held
the fire in check, he said.

Authorities declined to name the phone's manufacturer and model.

The fire and water caused $75,000 damage to the room and a business on
the ground floor, Henke said.

Copyright 2007 The Associated Press.

NOTE: For more telecom/internet/networking/computer news from the
daily media, check out our feature 'Telecom Digest Extra' each day at . Hundreds of new
articles daily. And, discuss this and other topics in our forum at (or)

For more news and headlines, please go to:

Post Followup Article Use your browser's quoting feature to quote article into reply
Go to Next message: Paul Dsvidson, USA Today: "Local Carriers Drag Feet on Number Portability"
Go to Previous message: mc: "Re: Last Laugh! The Sickest Phish Yet!"
TELECOM Digest: Home Page