TELECOM Digest OnLine - Sorted: Re: Off Topic: Teens Same Worldwide: [Movie, Texting, Cell Phones]

Re: Off Topic: Teens Same Worldwide: [Movie, Texting, Cell Phones]

ranck@vt.edu
Tue, 9 Jan 2007 15:28:34 UTC

hancock4@bbs.cpcn.com wrote:

> Historically, I understand that the landline telephone system of
> Europe was never as developed as that of the U.S. Telephone service

With the exception of France which had incorporated digital directory
service into their phone system in the 1980's. Even in the early 90's
when I lived there the French phone system had some real advantages
over the US and others. True, getting a new phone line could be
difficult and slow, but the functionality was better than anything in
the rest of the world once you got a connection. Some of the phones
could even act as a 24X80 terminal connecting to a dial-up service.
The limitation was mostly screen size. The basic phones only had a
few lines of text available, but even the most basic phones had it.

Bill Ranck
Blacksburg, Va.

Go to Next message: B. Wright: "Re: Off Topic: Teens Same Worldwide: [Movie, Texting, Cell Phones]"
Go to Previous message: USTelecom dailyLead: "Yahoo! Steps up Mobile Search"
TELECOM Digest: Home Page